Learn from one of Canada’s leading animal-hood designers!
The Cat Hat DIY Course will elevate you to an intermediate level of sewing while sharing everything you need to know to sew faux fur hats for yourself!
Because your time is valuable, the lessons are each under 15 minutes, ensuring maximum information and efficiency. Follow along with Carmen in the videos, reference the accompanying E-Book, and download the additional resources for a full educational experience.
This course is designed for a variety of creative individuals:
• Art Lovers
• Sewing Hobbyists
• Inspired Entrepreneurs
• Fashion Professionals
This Course Includes
• 90 minutes of on-demand video
• Downloadable 50+ page E-Book
• Prototype/Planning Resources
• Official Cat Hat pattern (PDF, & printed option)
• 2 Year access
• Mobile-friendly video viewing
Who is this Course For?
This course is for people with entry-level sewing experience, who wish to learn how Cat Hats are made so they can create unique versions for themselves.
Anyone with a sewing machine and an interest in fashion design, art & craft – hobbyists, professionals and entrepreneurship welcome!
What You’ll Learn
By the end of this course, you’ll have a unique Cat Hat of your very own!
Following the Cat Hat aesthetic, you’ll have developed your own colour design. Pattern tracing, cutting, and execution are covered. Faux fur tips for beginners: optimized tools, safety, terminology & characteristics. Through practical application, you’ll experience mixed fiber construction. Beginner techniques in 3D manipulation of fabric through pinning will be shared. How to react to hand-sewing mistakes and overcome them. Cat Hat aftercare is also included in the E-Book!
Starting from the very beginning, Carmen walks you through a design activity and encourages conceptualization. Terminology is discussed and decoded, pattern tips and execution techniques are demonstrated.
Cat Hat DIY – Syllabus:
- How to Make the Most Out of This Course
- Parts of a Cat Hat
- Glossary of Terms
- Choosing Your Fur
- Printing Your Pattern
- Cutting the Pattern
- Tracing the Pattern
- How to Cut Fur
- How to Trace & Cut Cotton
- Pinning – Cotton & Fur
- Machine Sewing –
- Ears & Hood
- Flipping & Combing
- Positioning the Ears
- Hand-Sewing the Ears
- Pinning the Lining
- Hand-Sewing the Lining
- Concluding the Course
• Sewing Machine, knowledge of the operation and it’s user manual
• Access to a device with internet access; desktop computer, mobile tablet, or smartphone
• Experience following a commercial sewing pattern, an asset
• Previous hand-sewing experience [beginner level], an asset but not required
• Materials list included; project-specific, links for suggested items provided
WOW! I feel ready to start creating some cat hats! Carmen is a great teacher, covered everything thoroughly and did not leave me guessing.